After The Wedding: Name Change and Tax Filing

So you recently tied the knot and have begun your journey towards “Happily Ever After.” What’s the next step? If it is your intention to do a name change, please do so with the MVA(Motor Vehicle Administration) and don’t forget the Social Security Administration. Why the Social Security Administration? For starters, when you file your first tax return as a married couple the name you provide on your tax return needs to match your social security card. The United States Treasury and the Social Security Administration work closely together and if you give a name different from what’s shown on your social security card, the IRS will reject your tax return and this could ultimately delay your refund. The name change (if you decide) should take priority since we all are “supposed” to file a tax return.


Continue Reading
Close Menu